[Bell Historians] Arreton

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Mon Aug 12 00:36:11 BST 2002

> When the 8 from St Mark's, Leicester went to
> Goulburn Cathedral in Australia
> the treble was tuned down to take the place of the
> 2nd, and a new treble
> cast. They've been augmented to 10 and hung in a
> 13-bell frame. The
> alteration to the old 8 was to get a better
> progression of weights for the
> intended future 12.

That's the "story" anyway. If one was more
suspicious, then one might be forgiven for thinking it
was just a good way to extract more money for the job.
>From the direct experience of my (albeit second-hand)
source, and one who was directly connected with
Leicester, the resulting ring (then still 8) might
have had a more ideal weight progresion, but were
quite obviously a "meaty" back seven and a
thin-sounding modern treble. So much for the
remodelling. Still, the people trying to make money
probably knew best ... ;-)

=====