[Bell Historians] Lost Wax Taylor bells

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Aug 19 15:09:01 BST 2002

From: "Chris Pickford" <c.j.pickford at t...>

> Don't we need to be a bit wary of assuming that bells with copious
decoration and figures of saints etc were all cast by the
> lost wax method? It's quite possible to apply very detailed ornamentation
using dies tapped into the outer mould.

True, but where Taylor bells are concerned particular types of decoration
seem only to have been produced uing lost wax moulding. For instance, the
effiges of saints on the waists of bells. At least, I've never heard of any
of these produced by standard moulding, and I have seen the moulds for
casting the surrounds for these in wax - they're in Taylor's museum.

I do honestly think that if you've seen lost wax Taylor bells before, you
can probably identify others with reasonable certainty using the type of
ornamentaion, the sharpness of it, how proud it stands from the bell and the
general finish as guides.