[Bell Historians] more questions

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Dec 11 22:26:18 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Wipe the floor? Au contraire, Matthew, you've mentioned some examples of wh=
ich I wasn't aware - thanks! I did try and establish reasonably accurate d=
ate-brackets for the main types when I did the Bellframes book, but this do=
esn't much help with David's query because steel frames - although common i=
n the early years of the century - went out of fashion until the revival he=
's trying to date. My impression is that it's a 70s thing, fuelled part by=
DIY and part by the growth in the number of bellhanging firms.

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: matthewhigby at a...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] more questions

In a message dated 11/12/2002 21:06:51 GMT Standard Time, djb122 at y....=
uk writes:

2) Roughly, when did fabricated steel frames start to become quite popu=
lar?
At some point in the past few decades, I think, and in many cases becau=
se
they can be built on a DIY basis.

Fabricated steel frames were popular a lot longer ago than the last few d=
ecades.=20
The 1903 Mears frame at Lyminge has T section steel at the bottom & top o=
f the framsides & double flat plates riveted together with spacers as brace=
s. It looks very slender but is as solid as a rock!
Many bellframes were fabricated out of RSJ's & RSChannel by Warners aroun=
d 1910 for example: Bath SS Micheal & Paul (1912), King's Sombourne (1911) =
& Marston Bigot (1912). Interestingly, I noticed yesterday, that the steel =
used in the Marston frame came from Scotland, London & the W Mids.
Several other types of steel frames were used by Warners, the Cantilever =
type (St Mary de Lode, Gloucester & Nunney spring to mind) & another with h=
eavy steel plates such as Somerton.=20

I'm sure CJP will wipe the floor with me & tell you a whole lot more on t=
he subject.

Matthew=20
This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20