[Bell Historians] Friday afternoon quiz

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Fri Mar 8 14:47:57 GMT 2002

I can answer one of them!

> South Petherton - weight of old tenor (I recall that it was weighed
> after
> removal), and its fate (it was being offered for transfer)

It weighed exactly 19-0-0. Most of the other bells were weighed too and
I have the weights somewhere - can't remember the rest of them off the
top of my head! If you want them let me know.

fate of old bells:

1/8 - now 1/4 at Horton in Ribblesdale, Yorks
2/3 - now 4/5 at Horfield, Bristol
3/8 - retained for chiming (it sounds really terrible!)
4/8 - cracked and lent to Soundweld for experiments. Don't know what
happened to it after that.
5/8 - scrapped
6/8 - to St Mary's RC Church, Barrow in Furness
7/8 - scrapped
8/8 - to St Charles Borromeo, Detroit.

Hope this is of use.