U,V, and Lukis

John David johnedavid at h...
Tue Apr 15 20:34:57 BST 2003

U and V
Thank you for the answers so far.
Perhaps I should clarify. Older eg 17c inscriptions would have been spelt
HONOVR, V used where in the later 18c and nowadays we would use a
round-bottomed U.

Re Lukis

WCL was a member of the College Youths, I saw his membership certificate at
the Lukis Museum some 40 years ago but when I asked to see it again more
recently, some 10 years after a big ama;gamation and reorganisation of the
Local museums it could not be traced. A great deal of sorting and
classifying has gone on since so it may have turned up again. The Guernsey
Museum has a notebook of WCL’s containing the inscriptions from several
hundred towers, some of the earlier ones are in Lukis on Church Bells, the
later ones not, so presumably he continued collecting them after the book
was published, and there must have been earlier notebooks now elsewhere or
lost. There is a copy of a report in a Salisbury newspaper of the 1854
lecture. The Museum also has a file of his correspondence, including letters
from l’Estrange and others about bells. It also contains the originals of
some of the plates in the book and some rubbings of inscriptions, one of
which is of particular local interest as it seems to be of the inscriptions
of the three Exeter bells of the Vale Church which were recast into six in
1891.

The address is: Guernsey Museum and Art Gallery, Candie Gardens, St Peter
Port, GY1 1UG
01481 700477.

John David

Guernsey