[Bell Historians] Warner Borders / facsimile inscriptions

David Cawley dave at d...
Fri Apr 25 21:24:38 BST 2003

Regarding the leaves, they were occasionally used by Warner's - such as I have seen appeared to be acanthus or laurel.

Facsimile inscriptions were not common before the 1890's, though not unknown - after all the Purdues and the Rudhalls sometimes did it in the 17th & 18th centuries. Some of the early 20thC Mears ones are outstandingly good.

DLC
----- Original Message -----
From: DJ Bryant
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 9:03 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Warner Borders / facsimile inscriptions

I inspected an 1880s Warner ring today, and they all had borders of
leaves on them. Do these borders have a name?

I was surprised to see that one of the bells had the founder's mark from
its predecessor reproduced in facsimile, with the remainder of the
inscription reproduced in Warner's lettering. When did they start
reproducing in facsimile? And on a similar note, when are the first
known instances of Whitechapel and Taylor's reproducing inscriptions in
facsimile?

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor