Molding terminology

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Mon Aug 11 05:02:11 BST 2003

As I understand the history of European bellfounding, it has always
been the tradition that the inside of the bell has been molded to be
perfectly smooth. And until very recent years, essentially all
bellfounders have molded the exterior profile with circumferential
ridges formed by notches of various shapes in the strickle board.
Indeed, the number and placement of these ridges have often been part
of each bellfounder's distinctive style, as much so as the shape of
the bell itself.

My question is this: What terminology has been used by English
bellfounders and English-speaking bell historians to identify and/or
describe these circumferential ridges? Are there words for this
purpose which were used in the past but are now considered obsolete,
or at least obsolescent? And if so, what words are currently in use
for this purpose?