[Bell Historians] self lube

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Fri Feb 14 16:26:50 GMT 2003

I believe similar bearings were used at Wormshill. I don't suppose they will
last as long as Whitstable though...

DrL

-----Original Message-----
From: David Cawley [mailto:dave at d...]
Sent: 14 February 2003 00:16
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] technical question

We fitted these light bearings at St Alphege, Whitstable (back 6, WBF 1969,
trebles 1974), and they've given 30 years of trouble free service, despite
looking pretty basic. Mind you, the tenor is only 3-1-13; and Phil Jakeman
is the steeplekeeper.

I was told last year that this was Whitechapel's first equal tempremant ring
- something I didn't know when we paid for it! The treble of the six (which
only had about 2 inches of cutting in the soundbow was less successful than
its bearings. After the two trebles were added, which at the time were I
think the lightest bells that WBF had hung for ringing, the deficiencies of
what was now the 3rd in 8 were even more apparent, so the foundry kindly
exchanged it for a new bell.

The only other trouble we had was predictable, getting the clappering of the
front 3 of the 8 right which was achieved by the provision of "medieval
clappers".

Certainly the bells go well and there is no sign yet of bearing fatigue.

DLC