mathew O' Byrne foundry

john maloney mary_maloney01 at h...
Sat Jun 7 02:48:38 BST 2003

hi from lismore australia , I am learning to ring on 6 wilton, wiltshire
mears cast bells here at st. Andrews parish church witch will be augmented
to 8 soon with 2 other bells cast by whitechapple in the last 2 weeks. Also
for 20 years i have been the player of a 12 bell chime at saint carthages
cathedral lismore , these bells are 96 years old and as their centenary
approaches i am writing their history , harvey baggott of adelaide
suggested i contact this group for help . The bells were cast by Mathew
O'Byrne in dublin at the fountain head bell foundry , the total weight of
the 12 is10 tons 2 qrs 18 lbs the tenor close to 43 cwts , a visiting bishop
to the foundry at the time of casting was so impressed he ordered an exact
set cast for the cathedral in longford ( where is this ?) can any body tell
me any history of mathew o'byrne , i've been told the foundry closed years
ago...but recently i was told no they still are in existence . i have an old
foundry catalogue of o'Byrne foundry listing bells cast for australia ,
this set of 12 was according to Mr. o'Byrne the greatest set he had ever
cast . any help great fully accepted . with thanks . john maloney