PItch of bells

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Tue Jun 24 09:27:21 BST 2003

Chris Pickford:

> "why can one always hear a strong fourth in big bells?"

This is a virtual pitch, not a real partial, and arises because the
ear is presented with several harmonic series and picks out one based
on a harmonic higher than the nominal. The reason why we hear big
bells, normal-sized bells and little bells differently is down to the
ear's differing sensitivity to different frequencies. Ears are most
sensitive to frequencies from about 1 kHz to 3 kHz and so we tend to
hear a note between 500 and 1500 Hz, roughly, whatever the size of
bell, if there is a harmonic series present to give a suitable
virtual pitch.

I fear the above is a rather woffly explanation, I had in mind an
article on the pitch of Britain's big bells, sometime, to go into it
properly.

Bill H