[Bell Historians] Taylor Headstocks

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Sun Jun 29 22:19:00 BST 2003

david at b... writes:

> A lot of them, especially on small bells, only have three bolts - two for
> bell bolts and one for the clapper. Modern Taylor CI headstocks for little
> bells are similar in this respect. Whitechapel ones have 4 bolting lugs,
> plus staple bolt.

The obvious reason for using two bolt lugs is the fitting of crown staple
adjustment screws (also known Twiddle Pins). Three bolts (i.e. fore and aft of
the staple bolt) make this difficult.

As for eighth turning bells & Mike's comment about drilling extra holes in
the crown of the bell - how about fitting a new headstock which picks up on
existing holes? At Okeford Fitzpaine, Dorset - we made a set of fabricated steel
headstocks which picked up on the existing four bolt holes in the eighth turned
position - without removing the bells from the tower (everything had to go up
and down the spiral staircase!)

As for more sets of "Bar Type" headstocks - 2-4 of the six at Sandon, Staffs
(1962-4). Also the 8 at Houston, Texas and the 8 at Rochford, Essex (Not sure
of the dates).

Cheers

Matthew