[Bell Historians] potential virus warning

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at f...
Sat Mar 22 09:35:30 GMT 2003

Isn't this a hoax???
Nick
----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Furse <alfurse at h...>
To: <info at a...>; <ahunt at n...>;
<anne_cleary at h...>; <auctioneer at m...>;
<BazzaSprouse at a...>; <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>;
<c.g.barnes at b...>; <confirmations at c...>;
<crickmores at t...>; <c.s.bannister at b...>;
<daniel.furse at i...>; <David.Armstrong07 at i...>;
<davidbrentnall at h...>; <dbt at e...>;
<dmfletcher at s...>
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 9:31 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] potential virus warning

> To everyone in my address book
>
> A potential virus has been passed on to me by a contact. My address book
has
> in turn been infected. Since you are in my address book there is a good
> chance that you will find it in your computer also. I am told that the
virus
> (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or Macafee anti-virus
> systems. This virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging your system.
It
> is sent automatically by messenger or the address book whether or not you
> send e-mails to the contacts in your address book. Here is how to check
for
> the virus and get rid of it. It only takes a minute or two but could save
> you a lot of headaches later on.
>
> 1. Go to START then go to find/search option
> 2. In the file/folder option type in the name: jdbgmgr.exe
> 3. Be sure to search your C drive and all subfolders and other drives
> 4. Click find now
> 5. The virus has a grey teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe on it.
DO
> NOT OPEN
> 6. Go to edit on the menu bar and choose 'select all' to highlight the
file
> without opening it
> 7. Now go to file on the menu bar and select 'delete'. It will then go to
> your Recycle Bin
> 8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it as well.
>
> IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK