Private label bells (was L&J)

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Mar 25 04:20:39 GMT 2003

Interesting--what would this practice have been called in its own
day? Nowadays the marketing types might call it "private
label"--made by one firm but carrying someone else's name. I've
documented at least three different instances of this in my area:
L.M.Rumsey & Co., small bells made by J.G.Stuckstede of St.Louis
L.M.Rumsey & Co., large bells made by Henry McShane of Baltimore
N.O.Nelson & Co., one medium bell made by Stuckstede & Bro. of
St.Louis is the only bell known to carry the Nelson name.
In all cases, the style and shape of the bell are determinative,
though sometimes there is additional evidence--some large Rumsey
bells are hung on cast-iron A-frames which carry the McShane name!