[Bell Historians] Jefferies & Price et al.

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Fri Nov 7 09:23:40 GMT 2003

This is really mostly for CJP but might be of interest to others interested
in the Bristol founders.

My present thinking is that William Jefferies cast his own bells at least
from 1832. The Tyntesfield bell of that date certainly looks like an early
effort. If I am right, it follows that the 1815 bell at Kenn and the 1820
bells at Redlynch and formerly at Fishponds were cast for and not by him.

In Monmouthshire I can confirm from visits that the bells at Llandenny,
Mynyddislwyn (27" and 31.5"), Llanhennock (32.75"), Llanmartin (31") are or
were still there. M'wyn probably gone now that the 8 from Abercarn are
there. I can also confirm that the small turret bells at Glascoed, Govilon
and Goytre are J & P.

Sopworth is in Wilts., not Glos., isn't it? (I was planning to include it
in my Bells and Belfries of Wiltshire, anyway!) The J & P bell was still
there when I saw it in 1976.

William Cary, whose name appears on some bells, I take to have been a hanger
not a founder (cf James Gotley). The "W Cary" bell of 1830 at Nettleton was
cast by Thomas Mears II, but the later ones (Dinder, Doynton and Yatton)
probably by J & P.

Re the Westcotts, I have up to now assumed that the 3 bells at Llangattock
Lingoed (N R Westcott) and the 6 at Bretforton (J & N Westcott) were cast by
the Westcotts themselves, though the inscriptions (especially at L Lingoed)
have a Mears look). However, the bell of 1847 at Bishop Sutton purporting
to be by J Westcott is inscribed identically to bells by J & P at
Llanhennock and Mynyddislwyn - and no doubt others of which I don't have
rubbings - and was presumably cast for Westcott by them.

C D