[Bell Historians] RE: Research Project

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Thu Oct 30 16:43:45 GMT 2003

> A leaflet on the 10 bells suugests that this may not reflect his own
> sympathies, but those of Lady Anne Beachamp who is said to have held
secret
> Royalist meetings at her home next to the church. [That is a pure guess
on
the part of the writer of the leaflet! CD]

I was only quoting! AW

> A 1648 bell by Lott for Erlestoke, the next church along the road, has no
> such ornament.

But many other Lott bells do (eg Silton, Enford) and so do many by Richard
Purdue I and a few by other Purdues.

C D

Maybe it's the other way round. Perhaps Erlestoke requested that the Royal
Arms NOT be put on the bell. We'll never know.

Anne Willis