Tieing a clapper

djb122uk david at b...
Mon Apr 5 16:49:54 BST 2004

> Which is the best way to tie a clapper, I've done it before and it
> usually works but sometimes I get the odd 'ding'. I'm planning to
> give a bell-handing lesson tonight and don't want any noise in Holy
> Week.

Do one end up like a tail end with not too large a loop beneath the
bottom tuck. loop it around the clapper above the ball and pull the
clapper against one side of the bell, then tie it on top somewhere. A
bell with canons is good as you can tie it to the canons or the bar
across the top which many have, if not it'll have to go around the
stock.