[Bell Historians] St Dunstan's in the East

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun Aug 8 20:04:18 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

I wrote the 1978 article. I was pressed to do so for reasons which appear i=
n the first paragraph.=20

A more authoritative one (by DrL and myself) is to be found on Dickon's sit=
e. See http://london.lovesguide.com/dunstan-in-the-east.htm

It includes a couple of accounts of the bells, one by RCO (he will forgive =
me for saying it's a bit OTT) and one by Jim Hedgcock (who will not forgive=
me for observing that he typically dumbs them down). Still, we're all enti=
tled to our own opinions, and mine is nearer to Richard than to JH, unsupri=
singly!

There is another and very excellent and balanced account coming to the site=
from John Pladdys, who was as involved with these bells as I was. That one=
gets ten out of ten from me. I understand that with it there will be put u=
p a digitally repaired recording of the sound of these bells (originally do=
ne on a portable reel-to-reel recorder and therefore, even repaired, is not=
to be compared with the real thing).

One point about the bells at Calistoga, four were hung in one tower (1,3,5 =
and 8, i.e. new 1, old 2, old 4 and old 7) for slow swinging; the others w=
ere hung in pairs 'dead' in the other towers (i.e. new 2, old 3 (4), new 6 =
and old 6 (7).

DLC=20=20

----- Original Message -----=20