[Bell Historians] Bolting bells to headstocks

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sat Aug 28 13:08:55 BST 2004

> Matthew Higby:
>
>> I was amazed that a small G&J bell that we rehung recently,
>> changed in pitch when the bell was bolted to its stock (with
>> fibre pad between). The prime rose around 10Hertz!

[Anybody interested in what happens to partial tones (and their decay times)
when bells have large resin pads cast onto their crowns might care to visit
Morden, Dorset. The tierce is the only partial to resonate for more than a
second or so. This isn't so bad when ringing, but doesn't do much for clock
or other chimes. CD]