[Bell Historians] Roger Purdue I

David Bryant david at b...
Sat Aug 28 22:06:04 BST 2004

> Thanks again. Perhaps Roger Purdue I tended to cast smaller bells when he
> was working out of Bristol.

Well, I suppose there's two factors here. One is that the demand for very
large bells was likely to be small, and the second it that they were
difficult to transport. For this reason Thomas Purdue, two generations later
(I think) cast five bells (largest four tons) for Exeter Cathedral in the
Chancellor's garden (again, I think).

And yes, that's a another Purdue bell which is larger that those I'd already
thought of, as is the present Exeter 11th and the old tenor (recast twice
since). I must think first and write emails second!