[Bell Historians] Shareshill, Staffs

Stuart Hutchieson stuart.hutchieson at n...
Sun Jan 11 16:05:49 GMT 2004

SHARESHILL, Ss Luke & Mary

Sharesyll: iij belles wherof one is a small sancte bell [One sacrynge bell
and that one bell was solde for iiij li wher of xis was payed to Bysshope,
xxxs to his officer for the ... and thyrde which is xs remains in the handes
of one Ffylyp Duffield]

Prior to 1899, there were four bells including an uninscribed second bell.
1.
Thomas Roberts
1686
2.1.21
Eb
22¾"
IOHN MORAIL MIN. RICHARD WEBB IAMES MINSHALL 1686

2.

2.2.24
24½"
(blank)

3.
William & Thomas Clibury
1624
3.1.14
27½"
CANTATE DOMENO CANTICUM NOVUM 1624

4.
Thomas Hancox II
1632
4.2.26
Bb
29¾"
GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS 1632

Taylors cast the existing ring of six in 1899 and hung them in a cast iron
H-frame. More recent work involved fitting ball bearings in 1976. 1.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
3.2.8
F#
25"

2.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
4.1.15
27¼"

3.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
5.1.3
29¼"

4.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
5.1.10
C#
30¼"

5.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
6.3.24
33"

6.
John Taylor & Co.
1899
9.0.0
37¼"

The above is from the LWASCR website. I don't have any further details about
the fate of the old bells or artifacts associated with them - but would like
to find out more if anyone knows.