[Bell Historians] Dropping bells

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at v...
Mon Jul 5 17:52:11 BST 2004

charset="Windows-1252"

MessageAnother clanger-dropping event:

Stratford Tony, Wilts: The Clement Tosier tenor of 3 in 1978. The block & T=
ackle used had been tested the week before. It was designed for use with we=
ights far greater than the load being lifted. The bell fell about ten feet.=
Apart from some slight chipping of the soundbow, where it fell on the chai=
n, it was otherwise undamaged. Sadly, it didn't improve the tone!

If you visit the church today (now in the care of The Churches Conservation=
Trust) you can see the 'ring' in the concrete floor of the tower. Incident=
ally, I was the one operating the block & tackle which had been borrowed fr=
om a reputable contractor who was also present at the time.

Neil Skelton.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Andrew Wilby=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 5:33 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Dropping bells

If this is the Harry Parkes West Brom story then I thought he pushed a be=
ll off the other side of his lorry whilst loading another?
=20=20=20
We seem to have bells dropping everywhere today in the most unlikely of c=
ircumstances.
Andrew

It was Harry Parkes, and with his speech difficulties he had a few prob=
lems telling homebase.