[Bell Historians] Canon retaining bells

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Jul 13 11:30:13 BST 2004

> The only solution offered is to cut off the canons. Is there not a case to
> reverse this and cast new bells with canons to maintain compatibility?

Of course, it is quite possible to hang flat-topped bells on canon retaining headstocks so that all bells have the same type of stock. The only difference is that there won't be the weight of the canons, but unless it is a particularly large bell this won't be too significant. I have seen this done with arched canon retainers, with a large timber block in place of the canons, but it seems very unusual - why, I wonder?

> This was done at Pebworth, Worcestershire - a derelict five augmented to 6, then 8, then ten. This is explained on the excellent tower website

They're Doncaster heads rather than canons.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/