Warwickshire War Work

Mike Chester mike at m...
Wed Jul 14 15:14:50 BST 2004

Though I don't have the actual date of casting, Rugby School bell was
cast in 1914. Claverdon bells were rehung with the 4th recast, also
in 1914. As the war broke out, as far as The UK is concerned, on
4/8/14 it is quite possible that both of these are pre-war

Nothing is reported for 1915/6

In 1917 the ringing bell within the chime of 5 at New Milverton was
rehung.

The next bellwork of which I have details was not done until 1920.

1939

The then treble of 5 at Clifton-on-Dunsmore was (re-)cast by
Taylors. The treble was added and the bells rehung at Alderminster,
again by Taylors. The same firm rehung the 3 at Middleton in a
strengthened from M & S strengthened the frames at Priors Marston &
Offchurch.

As before, some or all of this could well be pre-war.

1940-43 - nothing.

1944

At Chilvers Coton,the back eight were rehung on ball bearings and the
new trebles, cast in 1946, were added in 1947

1945

The complete chime of 8 at St Mary, Leamington Spa was cast by M &
S. As they are a war memorial set of bells I assume that they were
cast after the end of the war.

The nice G & J ring 8 at Salford Priors was cast in 1945.

I am sure someone could fill in the details.

Mike