[Bell Historians] Re: G&J Simpson rings

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sat Jun 5 09:18:27 BST 2004

>From: "Andrew Aspland" <aaspland at y...>

> "Why do we assume that Cyril Johnston copied a Taylor bell? He was a
> pretty clever chap by all accounts."
> It is not just the bell it is the whole installation - later they did go
> their own way with many designs but the example at Kirkby Malzeard is so
> like a Taylor installation.

[All the early G & J jobs are. Ron Dove once told me that the model for
Johnston's Simpson-tuned bells was the Taylor chime of 8 at Christ Church
Turnham Green, Chiswick. That might account for the very thin trebles of
Johnston's early years (e.g. Wool and Wimborne). CD]

> "...Whitechapel in the early 20s (they took their old style guage which
> produced bells closest to a Simpson bell and adapted it)?"
> And never got any closer!
>
> Anon.

[1. What is a 'guage'? 2. This is not fair. After a shaky start,
Whitechapel were casting first-class true-harmonic bells by the early 1930s.
CD]