Liverpool pro-Cathedral

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Jun 30 19:15:04 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:

> I've got a postcard somewhere showing an earlier design for the
present cathedral , with two transeptal towers rather than the one
central one.

> David
>
> --
>
>There is excellent detail in Peter Kennerley's book The Building of
Liverpool Cathedral - including photos of all the bells. ISBN
0948789719 or 0948789727 (softback) What stands there today is quite
different from the winning design.
The detail of the plans for the R.C. Cathedral - a vast Byzantine
edifice is also compelling reading. It was the rivalry between the
two groups of Christians that brought about two splendid, but very
different buildings. The R.C. standing on the foundations of a
building that would have competed in size with St. Peter's in Rome
had it been built.