Gillett & Johnston's 'successors'

Richard Offen richard at s...
Sun Oct 17 22:41:22 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jimhedgcock"
<jameshedgcock at h...> wrote:

> With the demise of bell founding at Croydon, the first bells to be
> commissioned by G&J (Calgary?) were cast by Taylors. I believe
that
> Taylors purchased G&J's equipment when the bell founding side of
the
> firm was terminated. Why is it then, that the two trebles at Egham
> and the later 'G&J profile' rings have come from Whitechapel?

Jim, do wake up please! We went through all of this a few weeks ago.

The two trebles for Egham were cast for G & J (Clock Makers) by
Whitechapel and the new Whitechapel rings cast to G & J profiles are
just what they say, bells cast with similar design features (if
that's the correct phrase!) to bells cast at the Croydon Bell
Foundry. In the same way, Eayre & Smith had two bells cast to
Joseph Hatch profiles when they augmented the four Hatch bells at
Peasmarsh, Sussex a few years ago ( there are several other examples
of this sort of work).