Bixley, Norfolk

Richard Offen richard at s...
Wed Feb 23 04:52:43 GMT 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Dawson" <George at d...>
wrote:
> Your garage?????
>
> GAD

Probably not on this occasion, but you should have seen the pair of
us struggling, many years ago, to get the future treble for Preston-
next-Wingham (ex-Burham treble) into the back of a Ford van I'd
borrowed and up the steps into the vestry of DLC's church in Dover!
It was an extremely wet and stormy night and I seem to remember the
reverend gent uttering some most unclergymanlike oaths about the
design of Ford 5 cwt vans and vestry steps!

As usual, it was one of those rush jobs. Contrary to what it says
on the Burham New Church page of Dickon's CBOK, the two Phelps' bells
did not go directly to their new homes, but went to be stored at
Burham Old Church. Alas, not long after the transfer, the Richard
de Wymbish bell was stolen and we feared for the safety of the other
two bells, the treble being the earliest example by Richard Phelps
(http://kent.lovesguide.com/burham_new.htm). Manhandling nearly 4
cwt of bell on such an appalling evening was neither of us idea of
fun, but we were the only two available at short notice!

Happy days!

Richard