[Bell Historians] Re: alternative to bells

Shaun Brown shaun.d.brown at ...
Thu Jun 16 15:11:03 BST 2005

In Derby, we have two such contraptions.

The first is at Pugin's masterpiece, St. Mary's, it is at least fairly
believable, sounding Westminister (or cambridge?-What IS the
difference?) quarters and an hour bell of around a ton. All very
sensible for the size of the tower. They don't, as far as I know,
attempt to play recordings of change ringing at all.

The second is the new clock tower in the city centre. This is awful.
It chimes quarters and hours-westminister... But after the last hour
has struck, it plays a tune, from a selection including the following;
Land of Hope and Glory
Polly Put the Kettle On
Turn Again Whittington
Baa Baa Black Sheep...

This would all be bearable, if it were in tune!! The note on which
"Make thee migh...) in LoH&G is sounded is nearly a semitone flat!

Eurgh!!!
SDB