[Bell Historians] Eddystone Lighthouse bells.

Carl S. Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Wed May 11 04:56:05 BST 2005

Websurfing for more information about the Eddystone Lighthouse bells,
I ran across some interesting stuff about how the fourth (?) version
of that lighthouse was built of interlocking stones and wedges. I
also found (but failed to bookmark) a drawing which indicated that
the two bells of the Eddystone Lighthouse were rung by top-pivoted
external chiming hammers similar to those used in Dutch chimes and
carillons hung in cupolas.

I also found a fine photo of a fog bell which I had seen in person
some years ago. It originally hung on the Minots Ledge lighthouse,
offshore from Cohasset, Massachusetts, and you can read about it here:
http://home.comcast.net/~debee2/mass/Minots.html

At the bottom of that page is a photo of the replica of the lantern
room of that lighthouse, now located on the mainland. The third
Minot's Ledge lighthouse was built with the same stone-wedged
technique used for the Eddystone and Bell Rock lighthouses. Clearly
shown in this picture is the fog bell, mounted on a 4-legged internal
stand which originally stood on a catwalk around the top of the
lighthouse below the lantern room. The bell was struck by an
internal hammer which is pivoted through a slot in the top of the
bell, and is moved by a horizontal rod through the wall of the
lighthouse to the internal machinery which rotated the light. The
bell was cast by William Blake of Boston (Mass.), successor to Henry
N. Hooper of the same city. Somewhere amongst my unfiled notes is a
record of the inscription and date on the bell; unfortunately I can't
quote it from memory.

Carl