[Bell Historians] Freedom of information

boyracer76 at ... boyracer76 at ...
Wed Sep 28 12:51:09 BST 2005

One of the largest problems I thought faced with building a database of
all bells in either a Regional/National database is the use of Copyright.

While researching history on the bells at Childwall, Liverpool (6)(12-3-6)
I had to go through enormous amounts of 'red tape' to display the
information which was taken from a book which belonged to an ex Tower
Captain, that in itself was taken from a book which belonged to the church
and the information from that belonged to a much older source.

All information regarding towers/weights of bells must come from somewhere
fairly reputable (i.e from church documentation or local historical
society) for it to be accurate but I would have thought that a separate
'file' of copyright for each of these would be a task in itself!

Jon Wild
(www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit.com)