[Bell Historians] Erpingham, Norfolk

David Bryant davidbryant at LMgv0IFG90ppRI37CjdDlD2PiMfMHiqTumjUMe67JdkRSJxJCXPeDXGfKz440V5xs-B9QXrN8hwB28LtFddyRC9eZTw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 15 14:44:55 GMT 2006

Coincidentally, I have just this afternoon been to St John de Sepulchre, now
used by an Orthodox church. The priest and church treasurer were extremely
helpful and welcoming, and showed me the former ground-floor ringing
chamber. Nothing remains here apart from two tiers of rather elegant rope
guides - no doubt these date from the 1908 augmentation. Unfortunately, they
couldn't show me up the tower as the church is leased from the Norwich
Historic Churches Trust and they don't have a key. The contact at the
Norwich Historic Churches Trust, who has the key, is away in China at the
moment. I am told that a concrete floor has been inserted in the fromer
bellchamber since the bells were removed, in order to strengthen the tower.
There are some rather ominous-looking cracks in the internal walls of the
tower.