[Bell Historians] Trinity New york

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at PF9ZXQYNDIDoQntbVoJLPJYpXfbzWM7WknWdAk3fND6H9vsmIGS60dJS7DJlEEZS74aOrW1iFEWH72--Vg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Sep 15 21:37:35 BST 2006

At 10:56 +0100 06/09/15, George Dawson wrote:
>  The 'chime' at HT  was cannibalised in 1834 when one of the 1797
>Mears bells  was removed from the 8 and transferred to St Pauls
>Manhattan. (later in 1845 C & G Mears recast some other bells &
>reinstated the 8)
>  Would someone please go & measure the diameter of it when they are
>over there (I suspect it was the treble of 8, 32.25" dia).

George has kindly supplied several useful bits of information which
have contributed to the reconstruction of the complicated history of
what began as the fourth ring of 8 in North America.  You can see
what's presently known of that history here:
   http://www.gcna.org/data/NYNYTCTChistory.html
though the 1834 date isn't yet included on that page.  George's
request for measurement will, if satisfied, fill one of the remaining
gaps in that history.

Here is a related matter of historical interest:  Out of the 12 rings
imported from England into North America in the 18th and 19th
centuries, six are currently ringable, three (including New York)
survive as chimes, while three have been lost (though a single bell
survives from the one at New Westminster).  For an overview, see this
page:
   http://www.gcna.org/data/IXNARINGyr.html
Each entry there links to a more detailed page or paragraph(s).

CSZ