[Bell Historians] Auld Scottish tune

Robert Lewis editor at 1G48IlHs0JI_blAyCxPQcNFGSpZDiSIhbU-jfLXeg-gEH2A9lXfGIq668mjU7wuOI-qgA3491hgRGR3V-qMUxNc.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 9 16:56:08 GMT 2007

 From the BBC Scotland web-site
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/onthisday/onthisday.shtml?month=05&day=01):

"On this day in 1707, the Act of Union between Scotland and England came
into force. Scottish church bells played the tune "Why am I so Sad on my
Wedding Day?" - the Union was brought about in spite of opposition by the
majority of Scots. The image is of James Ogilvy, 1st Earl Seafield, on
occasions M.P. for Banffshire and Lord Chancellor of Scotland. He promoted
The Act of Union of 1707, but moved the repeal of the Act in 1713. Bribery
was prevalent, with £20,000 sterling being despatched to Scotland for the
payment of spies and agent provocateurs."

Does anyone know anything about this "legendary tune" please (the BBC are
asking me!)

I know Scotland's first ring of bells only dates from 1789 - is it possible
that there was much tune-chiming going on in 1707? Or a tune-playing
clock-chime perhaps?

Sounds like a load of old baloney (or haggis) to me.

RAL