[Bell Historians] L&J

David Cawley dave at J8HYoxRbUGPVgrDSqULht2HreczoZq11sYjfy-XEZxKfRPk0MpvNPULjp41BaHTjP2cMOod18JdTWlAOyG4og78.yahoo.invalid
Thu Nov 15 20:31:17 GMT 2007

Oh yes, both in use with the beer pumps - sadly I cannot remember the hostelry - and also preserved in the Reserve Collection at Bristol Industrial Museum (along with the old West Hatch cracked bell which L&J replaced).
The nameplates on the artefacts were identical to those on their Ellacombe chiming manuals excepting that the central words "Bellfounders & Bellhangers" were replaced with "Brewery Contractors" or something similar.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Dawson
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:04 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] L&J

  I have an original L&J general catalogue of c1910. Bells feature on 4 pages of the172.
  They describe themselves as Brewery, Distillery, Dairy, Marine & GENERAL ENGINEERS.
  Manufacturers of Tar and Bitumen Spraying Machinery..
  Beer engines appear on page 128, presumably they provided the old Georges Brewery pubs with them. Has anyone seen one?

  George

  Just remembered that I have a photocopy of some of the bell section of an
  L&J catalogue; the original is in Blaise Castle Museum, Bristol. Round the
  edges of the pages are listed other items made by L&J: bottling machines;
  bar fittings; drain pipes; Californian dwarf pumps and coffee urns to name
  but a few. The next section in the catalogue is apparently garden equipment.

  I also have a copy of L&J's bell catalogue (original in Wiltshire Record
  Office). At the head and foot of each page are mainly bell related items,
  but such things as 'medieval brasses erected to any design' are included.

  Anne