[Bell Historians] Perspectives

Mark Regan markregan at tnoRxktcxJXoqhG6Ylhp52dup0JeKDBzEhpNYQM-0xkJIVkksvoeTz7b8miRpKxjvQwnygtRR1R8UZ04ppDcZA.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 18 20:47:09 BST 2007

My “real job” has got in the way of replying sooner.

First, thank you for the positive feedback about the Conference. It was
a high risk venture, however, I thought an event outside the remit
CCCBR, CCC, EH etc may bring out some of the many concerns which are
rarely spoken about openly. That was my objective for the day. Now such
matters as the appointing DAC and CCC advisors, training them and
reviewing their performance, are now acknowledged by many as being
necessary, we can lobby appropriately. Advisors help Chancellors make
decisions in law. That we let this happen by amateur volunteers is
alarming. Some advisors are good some aren’t. It’s no good being “well
they’re doing their best” etc about it. We have to be brave and do
something positive. In any other arena this practice would have been
reviewed and changed ages’ ago.

The difference between ‘opinion’ and ‘advice’ to me is:

Advice is objective and puts the PCC/ringers (the customer) first. The
advisor’s own interests/views/opinions/prejudices are not part of the
agenda. As Richard Offen pointed out – once all the “experts” leave the
PCC is left with the consequences.

Opinion is subjective and the advisor puts their personal take on the
issue before the interests of the PCC and/or ringers. I have often seen
this happen. That’s why open appointments, training and performance
review need to take place. Examples: “Why bother augmenting a three –
who’s going to ring them?” Say that to Charles Raynham! Or “Let these
bells rot”. How will this help ringing’s future?

Here are some examples:

I was asked to advise on a scheme which I personally thought was crazy.
Others too said “you must stop it”. Whatever my personal views were, I
was not the customer. I just advised on what I was asked to advise on.
That’s it.

After the fire at Leighton Buzzard in 1985 I had to liaise with Alan
Frost as DAC advisor on the new bells. Alan had rung at LB for years and
had a close association with the church. Whatever his personal views
might have been, he only ever commented on what the PCC and ringers
wanted. We also knew each other well. The boundaries were professionally
and correctly observed.

Another bell project is being undermined by a DAC advisor who puts his
own agenda before the wishes of the church. To me that’s selfish. This
behaviour makes a farce of the DAC function. It also tarnishes the
advice and competence of good DAC advisors.

The question of indemnity also came up. Whilst I have many friends on
the CCCBR T and B committee I’m struggling to see what they really
contribute and what is their plan for the future?

Light blue touch paper

Mark

Mark Regan
22 Sebright Avenue