[Bell Historians] Re: CD of Worcester Cathedral Bells

David Bagley david at WaEuhQdPMND8mt2kLIM3G4sDnI-X-9mJUr5LAz8V5JBtxyHjRWQGFZh8ngfuULM4q6nC-48smUpw65RWOHSrgxJVy3Y.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 23 06:50:33 GMT 2008

The late Arthur Jopp did hear the pre 1928 bells, and told me on a number of
occasions that they were't all that good, to put it mildly!

DPB

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Phillips" <jim.phillipse9ox at QAgk4xHTkvq9vUdz2IAZg872BonLeEmHZetVrjKmAPAmU3WIsjmzsVYu6mTQUDCu2cy9bNfnAqZ7vWcu0C2hZu0J-_MLn8qHIJU.yahoo.invalid>
To: "Bell Historians" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: CD of Worcester Cathedral Bells

On Monday 15th December at 14.02 M Regan wrote:-

>It is; and they are as awful as St Paul’s Cathedral

This is arrogant nonsense.  The Grimthorpe 12 at Worcester were recast long
before you were born.  There is probably no one alive who has heard those
bells and, as far as is known, no recording of the bells exists.

Many people rather like the sound of the completely original Grimthorpe
bells at St Paul's and on Saturday 4th July 2009 the National 12 bell
contest is being held there when nine of the top 12 bell bands will battle
it out to establish who will be the best of the best on the day.  Come and
hear the 'stretched' trebles hold their own when dodging with the heavy
bells, hear the grand tenor - a maiden bell.  A veritable feast of bell
music is promised on these 'old style' bells and you will be able to make up
your own mind regarding their quality.  Grimthorpe had his good points and
certainly put Taylors on the map.