[Bell Historians] Chiming

John Camp camp at gpPtGKpJTDEZkc1IrYepeioHJ5vr1IMWzcWVCOV5S1O30WyIn4fyPyam4uyixC4a86kqsAkEnPlCnTGdOn0l.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 21 20:53:17 BST 2008

At 20:41 on 21 July 2008, George Dawson wrote:

> And for those who don't know what chiming is (rather than full circle
> ringing) then I despair.

Is it clear that tradition dictates that the passing bell (or funeral
bell) should be chimed?  I always used to ring it with the bell up.
That's why I used the word 'toll', which is ambiguous in this respect,
in one of my messages on this subject.  Or does 'toll' imply 'chime'?
Serious question.

John Camp