[Bell Historians] Gillett and Johnston

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at O7dFJ4pvOwwmtL98hIAGgaVxsruJIxvGAAj0k1C0dS57r8lvKr5IDqP8pTULfdKINUHPLBOXLqm2m76czU-U1WX0TImrrA.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 28 23:10:36 GMT 2008

No thunder stolen, David. In fact, your message came in on my machine here immediately after I had posted mine - and I expect others received them in the same order too. The late work of G&J, I know, holds a long-standing fascination for us both - and we have yet to find the remaining Taylor / G&J bells of 1955-6 listed in your earlier letter (although John Scott found one in Plymouth)

One small discovery down here in Western Australia that might also be of interest is a late Vickers steel bell of 1899 at Midland (Ascension). I need to get up to look at it face-to-face, but from photographs I'm 90% sure that the inscription reads VICKERS SONS & MAXIM LTD SHEFFIELD 1899 PATENT CAST STEEL. This was the name of the company from 1897 and few bells bearing the name have been previously identified.

CP