NBR

Dennis Powney dennis.powney at a5_3BfaUq2eK_xftnxrIplkKpEkS5beJ7yVBROebsdiJTwO7P7HXG4ac4956o9PoVETeandEiFh8dGk6JaS-AcY.yahoo.invalid
Fri Nov 14 15:16:28 GMT 2008

I note that the NBR gives nothing for St Mary the Virgin and St Nicholas church, Sandy Lane, Wiltshire. There is actually, attached to the outside west wall, a small, un-inscribed, bell of about 20 lbs. It is swing rung from a rope hanging inside the church.
Also, the bell from St Mary's church, Chittoe, was removed at the time the church was de consecrated, 1980, and re-hung in the tower of St Nicholas church, Bromham, where it hangs in its own wooden frame and is used as a Sanctus bell. It weighs 112 lbs and has  J P - B cast on the waist - Jeffreries and Price, Bristol. It was cast c.1845.
Please can someone add these details to the NBR.
Sandy Lane church claims to be the only wooden structure, with a thatched roof, built as a place of worship, in England. It was originally dedicated to St Nicholas. St Mary the Virgin was added in 1980 when the church at Chittoe closed.
Dennis Powney.