Enquiry about 'a new sconce"

Peter Trotman ptrotman at e5_RPXqUpWqeJCQUX2Rr3sg4QJBh7fAAsR5S5CkOBHgXbuZdiQ5MbhNAZAu8sNkSTgS2BqddYi8.yahoo.invalid
Sat Apr 25 14:14:09 BST 2009

I would be grateful for any information with which to respond to the
email below. I'm familiar with the use of light bulbs under vertical
pipes as heaters to dry tail ends but have never known the term sconce
applied to them.

Peter Trotman

OLGA SHOTTON
<olgahome at b8Z6hVfROV32HIK2nPJ76C4CCf2nssIUzvfs4jGzJWkw6YHKwAm__qW-xXDWMKc3NwNrAD3mZ-ce_ALyv4w.yahoo.invalid>
Dear Sir
An English folksong celebrates the gift of 'a new sconce' to the
ringers of Chew.
The folk group who wish to add this song to their repertoire would
like to know the meaning of 'sconce'. It is said to 'rise and to fall'
so hardly likely to be the usual meaning of a light with a shiny
backing.
It has been suggested that it was a method of keeping bell-ropes soft
and supple by hanging the ends in a circular container with some form
of gentle heating (ie an oil lamp, or a lit electric lamp bulb.)
I would be most grateful for any information that your Society can supply.
Yours sincerly
Olga Shotton