[Bell Historians] FW: HAVE a bell from the 1700s ...

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at qorBTmr1IK0y4mkNJ5O6g6Ohe51mbSVVBgiZid8AT0phJjVDKvs9BbjF0z-MCGifW4qOe_jFFs8JdBoUUSslF6AmymgihF0g.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 8 14:28:02 GMT 2009

Carl comments "It seems very odd that a bell of this relatively small size, with intact crown, was drilled for the addition of a lifting bolt (eye-bolt)"

More likely, surely, that a false crown staple was fitted at some stage - and the hole later proved convenient for fitting an eye-bolt.

Given Anne's posting, I perhaps wasn't clear enough that the lady I identified earlier almost certainly IS the person named in the inscription, i.e. the widow of Sir William Stapleton (3rd Bart) who would have been known as Dame Frances Stapleton from 1699 until her death in 1746. The question is whether or not the bell was cast for the family seat - Greys Court at Rotherfield Greys - or for some other location.

CP