[Bell Historians] Early handbell ringing

Barry Pickup jbpickup at JspUQ-6IVCvwuFhxzEeL7db_P4ETmzKT9_2oNTp54C93-Bv6A6XOcs4inYemhLg5ZiolJPU7pkZbpatdz-I.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 15 19:07:43 GMT 2009

--- On Sun, 15/3/09, Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford.t21 at 5wgtEie8-hMhhVS_iUyTS_4th211YGjb-SmneoiL2tZcfNDAKLUa84jeUbGsguUnZnSTnSUDj7L8Xn5y6zodRiwvFcHcE4iEWg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

From: Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford.t21 at 5wgtEie8-hMhhVS_iUyTS_4th211YGjb-SmneoiL2tZcfNDAKLUa84jeUbGsguUnZnSTnSUDj7L8Xn5y6zodRiwvFcHcE4iEWg.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Early handbell ringing
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 15 March, 2009, 5:53 PM

I don't know enough about the difference
between lapping and handbell ringingto comment with any authority - but the
Abingdon peal was rung by five men only (surely implying two bells each).

CP
I have seen lapping done and it was done with two handbells. I believe the usual way of telling whether handbell performances were lapped or not was by the time taken. In the case of the Abingdon performance, it is slow by modern standards for handbell peals but is it conclusively slow?

JBP