[Bell Historians] Gresford

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) Roderic.Bickerton at RcTMqDdyvkgEX5-mZarslCbJ6vWjg0u1cKsU-VF-7MiniDFCIX_GnQjUf8QtRRHQjZzk40taPBsgLYUWZA7L-ZNLT3TnnKQwfOo.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 24 14:56:20 GMT 2009

A lot was said when they were put in. my "between the lines" guess is
that the aging band did not want to have to continue ringing heavy
bells, every time they were rung, hence the light 8.
If so the situation is likely to change, shall we say as history
unfolds.
People on this list will know how difficult it would be to re arrange
things to give a usable larger ring, but probably would not wish to
comment....... quite YET.

I believe the new 4 are hung under the existing ring.
It stretches credulity to say that ringing a 24cwt 8 is o/k but ringing
a 4, just under 5cwt hung under the 8 (that is lower in the tower) at
the same time would be dangerous.
An evening with a "wobble meter" would clarify that one.

I wonder how much it would cost to flatten the 2nd a semi tone?
It's the same diameter as Newport, S Wollos, and bigger than Wellington
NZ, a Heavier 12 (1981 JT)
In any case, I doubt I would notice, once they were in changes.

I've not been since the 'augmentation' but theoretically it should be
possible to ring all twelve even though the ropes of the front bells
fall amongst the back ones. The locals apparently say the tower is not
strong enough to ring 12.

Aye

Sam

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Richard Grimmett <richard at IusVBKMjOyc_Q84iKGRGNtfiNSjM0mc527Irqp6Fc5oJ2EXLzlXpyz39BQYjHJ0mBtTR2O_umrpU3DqDIkay.yahoo.invalid