[Bell Historians] TES archives and historic items

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at 4tR5yI8xU-jHpfLc5O4LOJZstujvU-YnEMlOKhfYdGuG-xtGpJPBdO1E7L7bV0ubPED1-JlLYMJ2rOWOyli-hUM.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 22 15:54:42 BST 2009

In the case of G&J archives, when they closed down, Cope Allman Plastics Ltd, a subsidiary of Cope Allman International Ltd somehow came into possession of the Tuning Books and other material. It was by a chance remark by one of their directors that I came to hear of the books. He had no idea or interest in what these books were about. Eventually I was asked to look after them and the rest is history. I believe there was a rescue of other material before the buildings were demolished.
AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Lewis
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:57 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] TES archives and historic items

    At 10:31 22/09/2009, Rod wrote:

    What ever the outcome, it is unlikely that any future business would be able to take on maintaining the archives and historical items.

    If this is not to be dispersed, either a ringers organisation or a heritage organisation would need to take it on.
    It may be early for thinking about this, but if a proposal were in place, it would reduce the chance of serious loss, and may help to make revival of the business more likely.

    Maintaining a valuable part of our heritage is very important, but a considerable encumbrance to a business.
    In particular TES have made records available FOC, something not done by the other place, and for which we should be very grateful.

    This is a facility which is in considerable danger of being lost, something we would all sincerely miss.
    What can be done to help?

  Of course it would be a tragedy if historic archive material and artefacts were "lost".  However these items are for the most part the valuable property and assets of a company that is in administration, not receivership.  It seems a little premature to assume the worst.

  RAL