[Bell Historians] Re: Fwd: Bid to re-tune 18th Century church bells rejected

Chris pickford c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Sep 9 10:07:00 BST 2014

I think the correct spelling of his name is Ockelton. If one and the same, he is very knowledgeable about bell history - and probably conservation issues too.

Not sure we should react too strongly here. Tuning is contentious and given the irreversibility one has to accept the premise that a case has to be made to alter an authentic original sound. Also, the newspaper report shows that the deputy chancellor has given parameters within which restrictions might be removed.

He is reported as having indicated that if the bells would be thought a joke if untuned or if ringers wouldn't ring them  then the matter would be reconsidered.

I think that what we've wanted for some time is a chancellor informed enough about bells to make such finely balanced decisions

CP

Apologies for top posting (blame age and technical ignorance!)

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk [bellhistorians]" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: ‎09/‎09/‎2014 09:24
To: "bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Fwd: Bid to re-tune 18th Century church bells rejected

> Is this the same C Mark G Ockleton as the Cambridge University Guild?

That question went through my mind, but I don't know the answer.

I looked CMGO up on BB to see where he is ringing these days and there are
only three performances 2004 / 2006 Winchester Croydon - so no clues there.

192.com only lists one Mark Ockleton in UK, but he's too young and in
London.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk