[Bell Historians] Bid to re-tune 18th Century church bells rejected

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Sep 10 15:30:24 BST 2014

The suggested retune came about because the bells are a) out of tune and b) unlisted by the CBC (who provide a code pf practice which all bellhangers/founder/tuners/PCC's are expected to adhere to). The parish has subsequently decided to augment to six, which may add more weight behind the PCC's argument.

Best wishes,

Matthew

My understanding is that 2 parts of this question can be viewed separately.

I believe that the skills exist in both UK firms to tune a bell so that the authentic original character of sound is retained.

In that case, the argument to tune the strike notes of all the bells to be in tune with themselves is strengthened as the partial tones etc to the new strike notes can be made identical to what they were to the previous untuned strike notes.

May I told if I have understood the problem correctly please .

Regards,

David

Posted by: David Willis <dcwillispiano at yahoo.com>

<*> Your email settings: