[Bell Historians] Re: Submitting historic peals (was The Botley Youths)

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Dec 4 22:38:24 GMT 2017

Actually, Sam’s warning about the changes of tenor weight at Liverpool – and the Warner bell 1911 weighed 39-3-10 – raises another issue.

When researching the pre-1950 peals on 40 cwt rings for Pealbase, I researched all the peals at Pierhead. A great many were rung on the front eight (tenor 15-1-23), one on the “middle eight” (tenor 20-3-23) and four on the front ten (also 20-3-23). The same applies to the peal records of several other towers, e.g. Redcliffe, Mancroft, Worcester, Dublin, Exeter, Leeds, Sheffield etc.

So on higher numbered rings, we also need to think about which bells were being used when peals on less than the full range are reported

Chris Pickford