[Bell Historians] bell dedications

Ted Steele bells@tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Aug 11 13:30:03 BST 2018

On 11/08/2018 12:48, 'David Cawley' davidl.cawley at btinternet.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:
> I am sure that Chris is correct. To illustrate this, consider the bells
> of S Bartholomew the Great, London (complete ring, W. Culverden c1510):
>
> 1: Bartholomew
>
> 2: Katherine
>
> 3: Anne
>
> 4: John the Baptist
>
> 5: Peter

I also nearly fell into the trap mentioned by Chris, when discussing the
possible origins of Fishlake bells with the churchwarden there.The
former tenor; (poss. pre1450; G Dawson) was dedicated to St. Nicholas;
the church to St. Cuthbert. The idea of a link between the church and
bell dedications doesn't stand much scrutiny. We know of cases where
the bells of dissolved abbeys were moved to parish churches. We know of
cases where church dedications have changed. There will, I feel sure, be
demonstrable cases of a bell being dedicated according to the wish of a
donor. On reflection we should be no more surprised by multiple
dedications, none of them to the patron, than we are by the (originally
more numerous) side chapels and alters dedicated to different saints.

Ted

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: