[Bell Historians] Named rows

John Harrison john@jaharrison.me.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Jun 24 17:38:38 BST 2019

I drew a blank on  ChangeRingers with this question, and wondered whether
anyone on the Historians list might be able to shed any light.

I was asked by someone restoring a C19 clock if I could identify what he
called 'church bell chimes' (ie 8-bell rows) that the clock sounds on the
quarters.

The clock has a nest of 8 hemispherical bells struck by 8 hammers, which
are controlled by the pins on a drum.  The sequences it strikes, in order
are:

Q P
S T R
Q P S T

Where:

P = 71625348 = ??
Q = 13572468 = Queens
R = 12345678 = Rounds
S = 46357218 = ??
T = 21354768 = ??

The clock appears to have been made in France for sale in the UK, so the
rows used might represent either English or French traditions.

So far I've failed to find any English name for the rows other than
Rounds and Queens.  But I think those are so basic that they could feature
in any western culture.

Does anyone know of a tradition of naming rows, outside of England, or of
anywhere I might look for further information?.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk