[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 6 09:07:59 BST 2020

I didn’t comment on this earlier when Carl Scott Zimmerman suggested it, but there’s a real risk of duplication of effort regarding clocks and drum chimes

These are already quite well covered in a separate national database of turret clocks and chimes - http://ahstcg.org/dadabik/login.php?function=show_login_form (yes, it is password-controlled access I’m afraid) – developed and maintained by the Turret Clock Group of the Antiquarian Horological Society. It contains quite a lot of “my” records of clocks and chimes.

While there may be a good case for some convergence – and certainly co-operation – in the longer term, that’s clearly beyond the current development phase of “Dove”. In the short term, helping to develop the AHS database would be a constructive way forward. It is a bit of a creaky website (not at all intuitive) and the data table for clocks is extremely detailed (too detailed in my opinion). But the database exists and there’s no point in duplicating it

I don’t know if access to the database is limited to AHS members (I can find out)

Chris Pickford